- Singular small lake on the top of hillside
- Panorama over Callejon de Huaylas and Huaraz
- Challenging day trek for the adventurous
FROM US$ 25.00 /person
- Best season: July to August
- All year: Yes
- Maximum Altitude: m
- Distance: 12 km
- Trek Duration: 5-6 hours
- Trek type: Akilpo promoted – Akilpo Serviced
- Difficulty grade: Difficult
This trek starts near the archaeological and historic site of Wilcahuain north of Huaraz from it immediately starts ascending through some local farming areas into the Huascarán National Park, all the time amplifying your views across Huaraz and the Callejon de Huaylas. The hard work of the trek will be rewarded when you reach the high point of the trail and see beautiful Laguna Ahuac below you with crystal clear and perfect reflections of everything around it.
At 7:00am our private transport will picking you up at your hostel/hotel, to compensate for the time on some bad sections of road. Arriving after 45-60minutes at the historic site of Willcahuain, we will head off on the well laid out trail. Trail markers every kilometre will let us know how we’re progressing whilst stopping for water breaks and obviously some photos as the panoramas unfold around us.
Arriving at the trail’s highest point, (4,560m) Laguna Ahuac lies below us in beautiful contrast to it’s multi-coloured rocky shores. On the horizon behind the lake, the southern Cordillera Blanca peaks contrast against the sky. At the lakeside we’ll have a will deserved rest and lunch – and obviously there’s a lot of photographs to be taken.
Descending, it will take us around 2 2-.5 hours to reach our private transport to take us back to Huaraz. If we’re back early, there will be time to visit the ruins of Wilcahuain as well.
At least one, even two, acclimatisation day treks are recommended before embarking on this trek.
RECOMMENDATIONS & GENERAL INFORMATION
Most of the road from Huaraz to Wilcahuain is a dirt road and in some sections it might be in a bad condition due to rains and be very bumpy.
At least one, even two, acclimatisation day treks are recommended before embarking on this trek. Do not under-estimate the difficulty of this trek which has a 1,100m ascent. If you have just arrived from another high altitude location and you’re well acclimatised, discuss with us the feasibility of doing it on your first full day.
Recommendations for Best Seasons
The best time is from mid-April to late September or early October. April, May and June are the best months for lovers of flowers and green landscape. July through August are the best months for blue sky & also an excellent period for photographers (warm colours and clear blue skies are great!). From September to April you get a mixed sunny and pretty cloudy landscape.
The entire Cordillera Blanca has a semi-dry and semi-cold climate, with an average maximum temperature of 23.9° C (75.0° F) and a minimum of 1.1° C (33.98° F). The climate is very unpredictable, even in the dry season it can rain. During the days it can vary from hot to very frigid temperatures, included rain and strong winds or snow over 4800 meters above sea level. It usually starts getting cloudy more often in early September. October and November are the months when after 2-3pm you can count on afternoon showers.
The Akilpo serviced 1-day trek of the Laguna Ahuac is for groups with a maximum of 10 persons.
(please consult with us about prices if your group has less than 5 people).
The Program Includes:
- Pre-trip briefing
- Professional & experienced trekking guide
- Transportation to and from excursion
- First Aid, emergency oxygen & Radio
The Program does not Include:
- Entrance to the Huascarán National Park
- Snacks & drinks.
- Personal equipments /accessories for the trip
- Expenses of personal nature.
- There is an even more challenging section to higher altitudes which can be added on to this trek. If you’re up for a very challenging trek, see Huaylas Challenge @Akilpo for more details.
- Interested in visiting the Wilcahuain ruins as well? We can add this on as an extension to your day trip although we do recommend that in this case we depart earlier from Huaraz.
|No. of Persons||US$ /person|