- Beautifull emerald lake at the bottom of Rurec Glacier
- Get up close to the beautifull ice forest on the glacier
- This is one of the most challenging day treks, but extra rewarding
FROM US$ 40.00 /person
- Best Season: July to August
- All year: Yes
- Distance: 18 km
- Maximum Altitude: 4,700m a.s.l.
- Trek duration: 7 – 8 hours (route dependant)
- Trek type: Akilpo Pioneered – Akilpo Service
- Difficulty grade: Moderate – difficult
Unique hike to the bottom of Rurec Glacier, where you can actually touch the ice. This trip will provide the opportunity to gain a deep understanding of this magnificent glacier, how it is formed and how it continues to change shape every day.
Our private transport will pick you up at 5:00 am at your hostel/hotel. Our adventure begins in the city of Huaraz towards the valley of Huamash “glacier explore”, which will take you to the foot of Rurec Glacier, one of the most impressive glaciers of the ice cap for a day visit. We will take an inspiring walk along a winding road through the dramatically changing landscape.
You will enjoy wide panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the incredible system of cracks. Glacier water lagoon, waterfalls and probably with luck some wild animals of the area.
This trip will provide many opportunities to take beautifull photographs. The return hike descending from the glacier goes along a different trail, which is very steep till the bottom of the valley. From there we follow the same trail to our transport back to Huaraz.
It’s imperative that at least 2 acclimatisation walks/treks near Huaraz are done before embarking on this trek. At least one of them being a day trek with an elevation over 4.500m.
RECOMMENDATIONS & GENERAL INFORMATION
Please note that the road up to the Huascarán National Park is a dirt road and very bumpy due to bad road conditions.
The Trekking Trail
first section slight ascent wide trail. last section very steep and off piste trail
Trek Rate: Difficult
At least one acclimatisation day trek is recommended before embarking on this trek. Do not under-estimate the difficulty of this trek. If you have just arrived from another high altitude location, discuss with us the feasibility of doing it on your first full day.
Recommendations for Best Seasons
All year around. The best time is from mid-April to late September or early October. April, May and June are the best months for lovers of flowers and green landscape. July through August are the best months for blue sky & also an excellent period for photographers (warm colours and clear blue skies are great!). From September to April you get a mixed sunny and pretty cloudy landscape.
The entire Cordillera Blanca has a semi-dry and semi-cold climate, with an average maximum temperature of 23.9° C (75.0° F) and a minimum of 1.1° C (33.98° F). The climate is very unpredictable, even in the dry season it can rain. During the days it can vary from hot to very frigid temperatures, included rain and strong winds or snow over 4800 meters above sea level. It usually starts getting cloudy more often in early September. October and November are the months when after 2-3pm you can count on afternoon showers.
The Akilpo serviced 1-day Ice Forest Trek is for groups with a maximum of 10 persons.
(please consult with us about prices if your group has less than 5 people).
The Program Includes:
- Pre-trip briefing
- Professional & experienced trekking guide
- Transportation to and from excursion
- First Aid, emergency oxygen & Radio
The Program does not Include:
- Entrance to the Huascáran National Park
- Snacks & drinks.
- Personal equipments /accessories for the trip
- Expenses of personal nature.
A private customized tour can also be organised by us. Please contact us for more information.
- This is a challenging extension of the easier Laguna Tambillo one day trek which would be the recommended trek if you’re not well acclimatised yet. For more details, click on Laguna Tambillo @Akilpo
- Speak to us about overnight camping extensions to the Rurec Glacier trek.
|No. of Persons||US$ /person|