- Off the beaten track (unique to Akilpo)
- Spectacular panoramas of both the Cordilleras Blanca & Negra
- Surreal rock formations
FROM US$ 10.00 /person
- Best Season: July to August
- All year: Yes
- Distance: 8 km
- Maximum Altitude: 3.615m a.s.l.
- Trek duration: 3,5-4 hours
- Trek type: new – Akilpo pionered
- Difficulty Grade: Moderate
A diverse hike through the long-standing Andean trail. The route follows the ridge, leading you from local villages up to Andean meadows with a stunning backdrop of snow capped mountains and. Once over the top a side trip into the cannyon. The Atalaya half.day trek is named and unique to Akilpo» the worthy introduction to some of the grand landscapes of the Cordilleras Blancaand Huaylas Valley designed to be more than a simple nature walk while still accessible to a wide range of ability so that individuals of modest fitness levels, as well as more active ones, will enjoy themselves.
After a short ride south from Huaraz, we arrive at our starting point next to the Santa River from where we start heading up to find our first little local trails between and above farmlands. Having taken heaps of photos, we head off to our next viewpoint from where we get our first views of the Cordillera Blanca.
Along this ridge, the views get even more spectacular with views down Pariac Canyon (Quebrada Pariac). Dropping down on either side of us are surreal canyons formed by erosions through millennia. Being the more level section, we can also slow down and enjoy some time with these landscapes. It is eventually through one of these canyons that we start our descent surrounded by the high walls. most likely passing some friendly farmers along the way. When we reach the southern end of Huaraz, we also get our public transport for the final part of the trip for the day to the Central area of the Twon.
not necessarily, if you have taken a night bus and you feel tired or sick you have to wait one more day.
Skil level: all levels
The Akilpo serviced 1-day trek of Atalaya is for groups with a maximum of 10 persons.
The price includes the following:
- Trip briefing
- Private transport from your hostel/hotel to and from the trail head.
- Akilpo selected professional and experienced guide.
- First aid kit, supplementary oxygen, radio.
The following is not included in the price:
- Personal snack preferences & drinks.
- Personal equipments /accessories for the trip
- Expenses of personal nature.
- Accommodation in Huaraz.
|No. of Persons||US$ /person|