- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- Breakfast and Lunch
- First aid kit, supplementary oxygen, radio.
- Private transportation round trip
- UIAGM Certified Mountain Guide
- Huascaran National Park Entrance Fee
- Medical insurance and emergency insurance
- Personal equipment/accessories for the trip
- Services not specifically stated in the itinerary
Grade: Moderate to Difficult
Elevation difference: + /- 725 meters
Maximum altitude of trail: Lake 69 (4,625m)
Start of trail: Cebollapampa (3,900m)
End of trail: Cebollapampa (3,900m)
Temperatures: +23°C -0°C
- HUARAZ-LAKE 69-HUARAZ
We will depart at 5:00 am from the city of Huaraz, heading north toward Yungay, where we leave the main road to the Quebrada Llanganuco. After driving through Andean villages, we make our first stop at the lagoon of Chinancocha (3,800m) - we will stop for breakfast while you´ll have the chance for some photos.
After 3 hours by car from Huaraz, we reach the trailhead at Cebollapampa (3.900m), where our trek towards the Lake begins. Our hike consists of several sections; first, we walk about 50 minutes through a beautiful forest, which transitions gradually into an open valley with a slight ascent.
From here, we are faced with the first steep hill, consisting of two zig-zag sections joined by a long gradual ascent (1 hour) to a small lake.
The third section is a small plain (pampas) then, we start the final ascent of 200m in just over 1km, gradual climbs for about 45 minutes up the steepest part of the trail that leads directly up to the beautiful Lake (Laguna) 69. Once there, we enjoy the beautiful scenery complete panorama including vertical granite walls of Chacraraju (6,108m), and the peaks of Nevado Pisco, Nevado Huascaran (6,768 m), and the Nevado Yanapaccha (5,469m). After the lunch and such grandeur brilliant blue crystal clear waters of Lake (laguna) 69, we descend satisfied to Cebollapampa and take private transport directly back to the city of Huaraz.
More about this tour
The roads from Yungay to the lakes of Llanganuco in the Huascarán National Park are dirt roads, and some sections of this road might be bumpy in addition to winding sections in the ascent/descent to and from the lakes.
Lake 69 Trekking trail
- Well market trekking trail, with some rugged sections
- There are no established toilets along the course at any point.
At least one acclimatization day hike we recommended before embarking on this trek. Do not under-estimate the difficulty of this trek even though rated as moderate. If you have just arrived from another high altitude location, discuss the feasibility of doing it on your first full day.
Recommendations for Best Seasons
All-year-round. The best time is from mid-April to late September or early October. April, May, and June are the best months for lovers of flowers and green landscape. July through August are the best months for blue sky & also an excellent period for photographers (warm colors and clear blue skies are great!). From September to April, you get a mixed sunny and pretty cloudy landscape.
Weather in Lake 69
The entire Cordillera Blanca has a semi-dry and semi-cold climate, with an average maximum temperature of 23.9° C (75.0° F) and a minimum of 1.1° C (33.98° F). The climate is very unpredictable, even in the dry season it can rain. During the days, it can vary from hot to very frigid temperatures, included rain and strong winds or snow over 4800 meters above sea level. It usually starts getting cloudy more often in early September. October and November are the months when, after 2-3 pm, you can count on afternoon showers.
List of Items for the hike
(the essential personal items needed for this tour we can provide after the tour booking). To have an idea, ensure that you have the clothing and items for all weather conditions as the conditions in the mountains can vary every day, i.e., even in summer, it can be cold, or it could rain.
2 people: $105.00 per ppl
3 people: $74.00 per ppl
4 people: $59.80 per ppl
5 people: $50.00 per ppl
6-9 people: $43.80 per ppl
- The Akilpo serviced 1-day Panorama trek (Lake 69) is for leading guests-to-guide ratio below 9:1, for more extended group size, an additional guide provided.
- Guided tour in English and Spanish. Other languages as (german, french, Italian) subject to the request.
- Food type on tour: Regular, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, or others subject to personal request.
- Group departures subject to the availability
- A minimum of 2 participants must open a group on the desired date; the final price is based on the final group size.
- The Private tour departures can be arranged at any date subject to our availability, please contact us if you have any question.