- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- First aid kit, supplementary oxygen, radio.
- Private transportation round trip
- UIMLA trekking guide
- Unlimited drinkable water
- Accommodation in Huaraz
- Huascaran National Park Entrance Fee
- Medical insurance and emergency insurance
- Personal equipment/accessories for the trip
- Personal expenses
- Services not specifically stated in the itinerary
Difficulty Grade: Easy to Moderate
Distance: 6 km
Elevation difference: +/-725 meters
Maximum altitude of trail: Ranrapalca Glacier (4,474m)
Start of trail: Llaca Valley (4,230m)
End of trail: Lake Llaca (4,474m)
Average Temperatures: 13°C – 23 °C
- Huaraz. Llaca Lake -Huaraz
Our service includes pick-up from your accommodation. The recommended departure time from Huaraz is 07:00 (am). The journey (1:20 hours approx.) takes us north-east of Huaraz and then through some small villages along a dirt road to the center of the Llaca Valley.
The trek starts at an altitude of 4,230m with a constant array of panoramas in front of you till we arrive at 4,474m. The area with the river flowing from the Ranrapalca Glacier and Llaca Lake is the most fun part of the ascent. During the first section, we cross the flat and then with a short climb/ascent to Llaca Lake, then the final section along the lake to the Ranrapalca Glacier.
We’ll return for a rest at the lake from where we only have a short walk to where our private transport is waiting to take us back to Huaraz.
More about this tour
Laguna Llaca or LLaca Lake
The Llaca Lake is located at the bottom of the valley that bears the same name, formed by the melting of the Ice tongue of Nevado Ranrapalca, Oschapalca, Vallunaraju, and Janyaraju. Laguna Llaca has a particular pale turquoise color, flanked by two colossal granite frames and snow-capped peaks that make up the landscape adorned by the Quenual (Andean ancestral forest).
Our journey to this beautiful valley is one of the closest from the city of Huaraz, through the nearby Andean town of Marian and the beautiful typical Andean countryside before entering the Llaca Sector of the Huascaran National Park.
The river that flows from the Llaca Lagoon travels along the valley without losing its pale green color, harmonized with the pampas and Andean grass meadows make up a landscape outside the tourist, ideal for enjoying the whole day almost alone without the presence of other visitors.
The roads from Huaraz to the trailhead dirt road, some sections might be bumpy in addition to winding sections in the ascent/descent to and from the lakes.
• Established trail, very little used, recommended for beginners, no technical skills necessary.
• There are no toilets along the trail at any point.
• There are some crossings of small rivers and streams that do not have bridges but only large rocks serving as stepping stones.
At least one acclimatization/half-day hike near Huaraz is recommended before embarking on our Llaca lake day hike. If you have just ani question, do not hesitate to contact us.
Recommendations for Best Seasons for Llaca
All-year-round. The best time is from mid-April to late September or early October. April, May, and June are the best months for lovers of flowers and green landscape. July through August are the best months for blue sky & also an excellent period for photographers (warm colors and clear blue skies are great!). From September to April, you get a mixed sunny and pretty cloudy landscape.
Weather in Llaca
The entire Cordillera Blanca has a semi-dry and semi-cold climate, with an average maximum temperature of 23.9° C (75.0° F) and a minimum of 1.1° C (33.98° F). The climate is very unpredictable; even in the dry season, it can rain. It can vary from hot to very frigid temperatures during the days, including rain and strong winds or snow over 4800 meters above sea level. It usually starts getting cloudy more often in early September. October and November are the months when, after 2-3 pm, you can count on afternoon showers.
List of Items for the hike
(the essential personal items needed for this tour we can provide after the tour booking). To have an idea, ensure that you have the clothing and items for all weather conditions as the conditions in the mountains can vary every day, i.e., even in summer, it can be cold, or it could rain.
2 people: $86 per ppl
3 people: $60 per ppl
4 people: $53 per ppl
5 people: $44 per ppl
6-9 people: $38 per ppl
- The Akilpo serviced 1-day Llaca Lake is for leading guests-to-guide ratio below 9:1, for more extended group size, an additional guide provided.
- Guided tour in English and Spanish. Other languages as (german, french, Italian) subject to the request.
- Food type on tour: Regular, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, or others subject to personal request.
- Group departures subject to the availability
- A minimum of 2 participants must open a group on the desired date; the final price is based on the final group size.
- The Private tour departures can be arranged at any date subject to our availability, please contact us if you have any question.