- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- Breakfast and Lunch
- Certified trekking guide
- First aid kit, supplementary oxygen, radio.
- Private transportation round trip
- Huascaran National Park Entrance Fee
- Medical insurance and emergency insurance
- Personal equipment/accessories for the trip
- Personal expenses
- Tips to guide and driver
Grade: Moderate to Difficult
Elevation difference: +540 /- 1100 meters
Maximum altitude of trail: Laguna 69 viewpoint (4,680m)
Start of trail: Llanganuco Viewpoint (4,600m)
End of trail: Cebollapampa (3,900m)
Temperatures: 23°C – 04°C
- HUARAZ-LLANGANUCO VIEWPOINT-LAKE 69-CEBOLLAPAMPA-HUARAZ
Note: trek times are approximate based on a slow pace and show maximum durations per section
Departure with private transport from Huaraz will be at 3:00 am heading north towards Yungay from where we leave the main road and head up through some villages to the Llanganuco Sector of the Huascarán National Park. As it starts getting light, we arrive at our trail starting point (4,650m), where we will first have breakfast as the sun rises over the Cordillera Blanca - lighting up Peru’s highest mountain Nevado Huascarán (6,768m) with the pyramid of Nevado Chopicalqui at its left.
Down across the valley, the rising sun lights up the Llanganuco lakes, the Huandoy Massif, and the peaks of Pisco and Chacraraju.
Heading off on our trail, we’ll get to our first viewpoint at 4,700m with breathtaking views and panoramas, and now Nevado Yanapaccha and its glacier visible too. Place where we start our first descent of the day along some rock and slopes and eventually through a Queñual forest to a pale green glacial lake below Nevado Yanapaccha. Here we start the final part of the first descent to where we join the classic trail to Laguna 69 at 4,200m altitude.
The remaining 3km ascends again, passing other lakes and some stunning waterfalls till we reach Laguna 69 at 4,625m altitude after about 1.5 hours. Time to relax, have some lunch, and take a lot of photos. The descent to our vehicle will follow the classic Laguna 69 trail to Cebollapampa from where we will head back to Huaraz.
More about this tour
RECOMMENDATIONS & GENERAL INFORMATION
The roads from Yungay to the lakes of Llanganuco in the Huascarán National Park are dirt roads and some sections of this road might be bumpy in addition to winding sections in the ascent/descent to and from the lakes.
• Ice/Snow: This trail may sometimes be covered in snow and/or iced sections. Extreme caution is required.
• There are no toilets along the trail at any point.
• Be aware that there are some crossings of small rivers and streams that do not have any bridges but only large rocks serving as stepping stones.
At least one to two acclimatization day treks are recommended before embarking on this trek. Do not under-estimate the difficulty of this trek even though rated as moderate. If you have just arrived from another high altitude location, discuss with us the feasibility of doing it on your first full day.
Recommendations for Best Seasons
All-year-round. The best time is from mid-April to late September or early October. April, May, and June are the best months for lovers of flowers and green landscape. July through August are the best months for blue sky & also an excellent period for photographers (warm colors and clear blue skies are great!). From September to April, you get a mixed sunny and pretty cloudy landscape.
Weather in Lake 69 / Panorama
The entire Cordillera Blanca has a semi-dry and semi-cold climate, with an average maximum temperature of 23.9° C (75.0° F) and a minimum of 1.1° C (33.98° F). The climate is very unpredictable, even in the dry season it can rain. During the days, it can vary from hot to very frigid temperatures, included rain and strong winds or snow over 4800 meters above sea level. It usually starts getting cloudy more often in early September. October and November are the months when, after 2-3 pm, you can count on afternoon showers.
List of Items for the hike
(the essential personal items needed for this tour we can provide after the tour booking). To have an idea, ensure that you have the clothing and items for all weather conditions as the conditions in the mountains can vary every day, i.e., even in summer, it can be cold, or it could rain.
2 people: $109.80 per ppl
3 people: $77.00 per ppl
4 people: $63.80 per ppl
5 people: $53.50 per ppl
6-9 people: $46.50 per ppl
- The Akilpo serviced 1-day Panorama trek (Lake 69) is for leading guests-to-guide ratio below 9:1, for more extended group size, an additional guide provided.
- Guided tour in English and Spanish. Other languages as (german, french, Italian) subject to the request.
- Food type on tour: Regular, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, or others subject to personal request.
- Group departures subject to the availability
- A minimum of 2 participants must open a group on the desired date; the final price is based on the final group size.
- The Private tour departures can be arranged at any date subject to our availability, please contact us if you have any question.